- Identify the roles that haptics can play in a multisensory context
- Name three approaches for creating haptic content
- Describe the process for designing haptic interactions
- MacLean, K. E., Schneider, O. S., & Seifi, H. (2017). Multisensory haptic interactions: Understanding the sense and designing for it. In The Handbook of Multimodal-Multisensor Interfaces: Foundations, User Modeling, and Common Modality Combinations-Volume 1 (pp. 97-142).
- MacLean, K. E., & Hayward, V. (2008). Do it yourself haptics: Part ii [tutorial]. IEEE robotics & automation magazine, 15(1), 104-119.
- Kim, E., & Schneider, O. (2020). Defining Haptic Experience: Foundations for Understanding, Communicating, and Evaluating HX. In Proceedings of the ACM CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (pp. 1-13).
- Schneider, O., MacLean, K., Swindells, C., & Booth, K. (2017). Haptic experience design: What hapticians do and where they need help. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, 107, 5-21.
- Salisbury, K., Conti, F., & Barbagli, F. (2004). Haptic rendering: introductory concepts. IEEE computer graphics and applications, 24(2), 24-32.
No correction has been reported by the community.
1. Name and describe the four components of the haptic experience design process.
2. What is the role of haptics in the following interactions? Explain your answer.
Surgical training in virtual reality(Fundamental VR)
Interactive game for blind users(Schneider et al., 2018)
Emotion communication with a robot(Yohanan and MacLean, 2012)
3. What approach(es) could be used for creating haptic content in the above cases?
4. Ideate an interaction that can benefit from haptic feedback.
Let us know your comments and questions about this chapter.