Chapter 0: What are haptics?
Credits: References, Videos
- Describe haptic sense in relation to other senses
- Understand definition and uses of haptic devices
- Name application areas of haptics
Readings and Resources
- Culbertson, H., Schorr, S. B., & Okamura, A. M. (2018). Haptics: The present and future of artificial touch sensation. Annual Review of Control, Robotics, and Autonomous Systems, 1, 385-409.
- Jones, L. A. (2000). Kinesthetic sensing. In Human and Machine Haptics.
- Lederman, S. J., & Jones, L. A. (2011). Tactile and haptic illusions. IEEE Transactions on Haptics, 4(4), 273-294.
- Lederman, S. J., & Klatzky, R. L. (1987). Hand movements: A window into haptic object recognition. Cognitive psychology, 19(3), 342-368.
- Linden, D. J. (2016). Touch: The science of hand, heart, and mind. Penguin Books.
No correction has been reported by the community.
Assignments(Example Solution Key)
- Describe three characteristics of haptic perception and compare them with visual and auditory perception.
- For the haptic interactions in the Youtube links below, explain:
- Which haptic sub-modality is targeted by the device? why?
- What does haptic feedback enable?
- What does the device sense from the user and environment?
- What output does the device provide?
3. Can you find a haptic device from the literature and describe the same points for it?
Let us know your comments and questions about this chapter.